Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lace em up and give them spirit

I copped these laces about a year ago for R9, yah R9 cause nobody really wanted to buy them at a certain sneaker hub, so they ended reducing the price to that. I on the other hand decided to buy them even though I did not have any use for them at that point in time, to my great fortune I finally found use for these print laces.


This how it went down, I took one of my favourite kicks, Air Max 90s and switched up their flavour by lacing them up with these and vwala, I then went to the twitter streets and posted pictures of the sneakers illustrating how switching up laces could bring out aesthetic appeal that you may have never thought your kicks had, consequently one of my followers reminded me of "Just For Kicks", a sneaker documentary that showed us how American teens use to switch up funky laces to coordinate with their outfits which worked well for those who could not afford to cop a lot of kicks as it is still the case with a number of people.


The tradition of working within your means to look fresh is a traditional South African urban streets have always practised, I recall when my friends use to buy some Dickies like shoes called "Ama futsek", those kicks had crazy colour ways and the best part was that they were R70 which allowed kats to buy up to 5 pairs on average. The main idea presented here is that being fresh is more of a state of creativity than affordability and that's why the streets will always stay fresh while others depend on their stylists.


No comments: